Eye Care for Cats And Dogs in La Mesa, California
Regular veterinary care is essential for preventing eye problems in animals and pet parents should be aware of the signs and symptoms of common eye disorders.
From redness, pain and irritation to discharge and vision issues, no pet wants to endure eye issues. The most common eye infections like conjunctivitis, inflammation and uveitis should be treated as soon as possible to stop spreading.
It’s important to take your pet into a veterinarian in La Mesa to get regular eye checkups to ensure your pet is thriving.
How We Care For Eyes of Your Pets in La Mesa
During Pet Exams, our La Mesa veterinarians will look over your pet’s eyes and make sure that everything is ok.
Eye problems are a common source of pain, and if left untreated, can lead to permanent blindness. If you see any of the following signs, a quick trip to your La Mesa vet can determine if there is an issue:
- Squinting or holding eyelid shut
- Hazy or milky colored cornea
- Thick or crusty discharge
- Red, irritated eyes
- Cherry eye
- Vision loss (bumping into things)
If a concern is raised during the pet exam, additional tests may be recommended to diagnose your pet’s eye infection. These tests include a fluorescein stain or the Schirmer tear test, among others. Once the vet has made a diagnosis, a treatment plan will be outlined for your pet.
In between visits to your La Mesa vet, take the steps below can help prevent eye infections in your pet:
- Avoid trauma to the eye or the introduction of foreign bodies. If you take your pet with you in the car, be sure to keep the window closed while driving. If visiting a windy location, pet goggles can also be considered.
- Trim your pet’s hair around their eyes.
- Keep your pet’s face clean.
The eyes of our pets are very important to keep healthy! If you ever have any questions, please visit your nearest THRIVE in La Mesa and speak to a veterinarian.